Carers in Southampton is a vital new service managed by Southampton Mencap. It is there to reach out to the thousands of carers living in Southampton who give up their time to look after a family member, a friend, or a neighbour who needs additional support. The service provides support, advice, guidance and learning opportunities to improve carers’ choice, control and independence.
The service has available:
• An experienced team of Link Workers, each with their own specialist area, who can be a key point of contact and who can provide advice and information to carers
• A dedicated, relaxed Resource Room for carers to do research, with or without assistance from our staff which is equipped with a lap-top for online information searches and a variety of leaflets and information documents
• A dedicated phone line for carers to call for information or advise and support which is staffed by the team from 9am – 5pm, Monday to Friday.
• A wide range of social and learning opportunities for carers to on a wide range of topics and which enables them to get together with other carers who enjoy similar hobbies and interests
• Regular updates via Facebook and Twitter to provide useful information and updates on events to carers
The service will also:
• Advocate on behalf of carers when necessary.
• Provide information on services available in the city and supports personal referrals to these services if necessary
Drop in to the Carer Resource Centre to find out more:
Meon House, Rear of 189 Portswood Road, Southampton, SO17 2NF
Telephone: 02380 582 387
Visit the website: www.carersinsouthampton.co.uk