The Family Link Service
The Family Link service is available to family carers living in Southampton who have a relative with a learning disability. This service is managed and delivered by Southampton Mencap, and is funded through a grant from the Local Authority.
The Family Link Worker is able to provide support to family carers to better understand and take up their entitlements and offers practical assistance to help them plan for the future by developing an Emergency Action Plan. Key trends from the information gathered are shared on a regular basis with Local Authority and PCT officers and commissioners, who are responsible for the planning of services to enable improvements to be made to those provided for family carers and their relatives.
The Family Link Service will:
- provide information about support and service entitlements to family carers
- develop ways of managing any changes in their own and their relatives lives
- voice their views on issues affecting them or their relatives
- plan ahead and think about what would happen to their relative in an emergency
- draw up an Emergency Action Plan which supports their relative in a crisis, e.g. sudden illness/accident or bereavement
- share their Emergency Action Plan appropriately and review it on an annual basis
How to get in touch with Family Link Service
Telephone: 023 80 584088
Call in to the Mencap Centre and speak to the Family Link Worker